Tuesday, September 11, 2018

The Wedding Cake

As I was browsing through google and Instagram on where to eat at KLIA2, this particular article had my full attention. A small Chinese cake shop named Mr. Siew Bao is located on the second floor of KLIA2 mall, serving a wide varieties of traditional Chinese pastries and cakes, one of them being the Wedding Cake, or as the local like to call it Xi Bing.


I was very very curious about this so called wedding cake. What is it made of? What does it taste like? Why is it named "wedding cake"? What's the story behind it? Not having any second thought, I bought a piece, the one with the pink pastry and a lotus filling, that costed me 6.50RM.

I searched the answers to all of the questions I have regarding the Wedding Cake on the internet and, thank God, I found this article that explains everything in very much detail. I shall put the link here so that you can read it, but I'm going to tell you the whole explanation in my own words as well.


So, this wedding cake named Xi Bing is one of the many traditional Chinese pastries that holds a big part in a Chinese wedding. The cake itself is basically pastries with fillings. What kind of fillings, you may ask. Well, that depends on the bride's family's ancestry. The surface of the cake will then be stamped with a Chinese character, which is basically a wish for the bride and groom, along with the whole family. The one that I bought had a  on it, which means "double happiness".

It is the groom who will bring the Xi Bing to the bride's family, as a symbol of gratitude towards the bride's parents for taking care of her the past years before she is married. The Xi Bing will then be eaten by the bride's family; her father, her mother, her aunty, her grandma, every single one of them, but not for the bride herself as the old folks believe that the bride will have a failed marriage if she eats the Xi Bing. It's merely a superstition, but some of us Asians do believe in those kind of things, right? If she feel like having a Xi Bing, she has to buy one for herself at any store that sells the particular traditional pastry.



With hesitation (because I didn't know the story behind the cake back then. I was afraid that I might get cursed for not eating the Xi Bing at my own wedding, resulting in a series of mishaps along my journey of finding my true love), I cracked open my share of Xi Bing. The lotus filling was very unappealing as it was greenish yellow in color. The pastry was very flaky and crumbly.

I had a bite and all I could taste was the dryness of the dough and the powder-like butter from the pastry itself. The lotus filling was sweet, but I didn't like it. It is actually a great snack to munch on, but I think it would taste better with chocolate filling instead of lotus filling. The whole cake reminds me a lot of Bali's Pia Legong.


P.S. Do correct me if there's anything wrong with what I write regarding the history of the Xi Bing. #newbiealert

Mr. Siew Bao
Kuala Lumpur International Airport
Arrival Lane, 6400
Sepang, Selangor

No comments:

Post a Comment