Friday, September 14, 2018

Maple & Oak and Friends

This was almost a year ago, on the day my best friend turned 23. She invited me, and some of her closest friends who are my friends as well, to a brunch at this adorable restaurant at Menteng named Maple & Oak. I brought nothing but myself and a bouquet of sunflowers for her. Though roses and daises are nice, I’ve always been fond of sunflowers more. 

The Birthday Girl

There were less than ten of house and we had food coming to our table according to our orders. I had me Maple & Oak’s signature Maple Butter Brioche and a Strawberry Sour Mocktail. Angel had her share of Seared Salmon, while Cindy had a plate of nicely roasted beef with sautéed vegetables which name escapes me. Febby had a burger and Sally, who came a bit late because she was working at that time, had the same menu like I did.

I can't with myself.

All of the food were beautiful. Mine was breathtaking: a plate of toasted brioche drizzled with the restaurant’s signature maple truffle butter, garnished with beef bacon and scrambled eggs, and a sprinkle of sliced strawberries and cherry tomatoes. It came with another serving of maple syrup just in case I needed an extra kick of sweetness, which in fact yes. 

Maybe I wasn’t familiar with how truffle oil tasted like. To me, the scrambled egg tasted very very fishy and dreadful. I thought it was uncooked, but then again I used to eat half-boiled egg, so it shouldn’t be a problem. I asked the girls to taste the egg as well and they all understood what the horrible flavor tasted like. So, I asked one of the staff to check with the chef regarding the quality of the food.

Maple Butter Brioche

Angel's Seared Salmon

A few minutes later, he came back and explained that it was supposed to taste like that. But, he was kind enough to offer me to recook the egg. I accepted the offer and got a well done egg in the end. It still had the fishy aftertaste, but I could deal with that. 

My Strawberry Sour Mocktail

My toasted brioche, on the other hand, was amazing combined with the butter and the maple syrup. I’ve learnt to love bacon and maple, so the combination was awesome. Despite the fact that it’s beef instead of pork bacon, it was thickly sliced and grilled to perfection. The veggies on the sides were fresh and very delightful to the palate as a flavor neutralizer. 

Cindy's burger, with fries on the side.

Cindy's meal of the day. 

The other food was also amazing as I got to taste a wee bite of each dishes. Angel’s salmon was soft and savory, Cindy’s beef was smoky and flavorful and very tender, while Febby’s burger patty was just on point. 

Work that angle, Angel!

My mocktail sure was fresh and thirst quenching. The strawberry was there, but it didn’t dominate the flavor of the drink. It had a bit of sourness in it from the lime, and the amount of mint was enough for me to nibble on.

We also had desserts: Mascarpone Blueberry Crumble and Bailey’s Tiramisu. Both of the desserts were basically two glasses filled with cake crumbs, garnishes, and creams. They were very delicious, but my favorite was the Mascarpone Blueberry Crumble simply because I’m not into Bailey’s. 

Brunch with the girls. 


Maple & Oak
De Ritz Building, Ground Floor
Jl. HOS. Cokroaminoto No. 91
Menteng, Jakarta

Opening Hours:
MON - SAT: 8AM - 9PM
SUN: 8AM - 8PM

Contact:

(+62)21 390 6757

No comments:

Post a Comment