Monday, September 10, 2018

Carbonara, or Aglio e Olio?

I am currently at Kowok Coffee & Eatery, a new hangout spot in Bekasi. My friend, Gavin, ordered a plate of onion rings that tasted exquisitely savory and crunchy and a glass of house's specialty coffee, while I munched some strawberries that I brought from home. I felt like eating something heavy and messy, so I ordered a plate of Fettuccini Carbonara. What I hoped is a plate of saucy fettuccini, turned out to be a let down.

Around 15 minutes after I placed my order, a waitress came with my dinner. Didn't realize it at first because I was mesmerized with how they nicely plate my food, but then it hit me. Why didn't it has any white sauce on it?

I was baffled. I remembered correctly that I ordered a carbonara, not an aglio e olio. I called one of the waiter and asked about why didn't it had any white sauce in it, which then was replied with a, "I will bring it to you. Just one second." Nice and friendly respond, I dig it. But, still, I was dumbstruck.

A minute later, he came with a small plate of mayonnaise. Am I crazy, or carbonara nowadays is served with mayonnaise like how calamari rings are served?


"Um, I didn't ask for mayonnaise. I was asking about the white sauce. This IS a fettuccini carbonara, right," I asked the waiter. I had to compose myself not to explode and go berserk. "Ah, I see," said the waiter, "At our place, this is how we cook the fettuccini carbonara, with no white sauce in it." God, have mercy.

Okay. Sure. Fettuccini Carbonara with no white sauce. Right. I didn't make a big deal out of it, even though I was THIS close of demanding a replacement because of, what I though, a food irregularity. "Screw this, I'm eating anyway," I said as I stab them fettuccini with my fork.


The presentation was good, as well as the plating of the fettuccini. It had a simple garnish with two slices of toasted bread slices on the sides and this deep-fried dough shaped thinly like a lobster antennae.

The fettuccini was well cooked, not too mushy and not too hard. It was also well seasoned with garlic and cheese. I assume they used parmesan cheese because of how savory and milky it tasted. The portion was not to big, but I shared it with Gavin and I was full anyway. All in all, the food itself is good and delicious. It deserves a 7 out of 10. But, I was, and still am disappointed by the twist so I have to give it a 3. But, 8 out of 10 for the service and friendliness of the staff, nonetheless!


Kowok Coffee & Eatery
Jl. Caman Raya No. 117
Pondok Gede, Bekasi

Opening Hours:
SUN - THU: 8 AM - 10PM
FRI - SAT: 8AM - 12PM

Contact:
(+62) 821 6261 0904
(+62) 897 813 8780 

No comments:

Post a Comment