Thursday, September 6, 2018

Get Piggy with Buyu Bowls

My best buddy Bernhard took me and Nona for a late lunch, or should I say early dinner, at this food booth at Jakarta Selatan named Buyu Bowls. My first plan was to go to Kaca Mata Restaurant since I was craving for its' Sweet Pork Buns so bad. But, then, over Whatsapp Bernhard suggested me to try out this newly opened place that serves pork with rice. "Can I show you a nicer place to eat? Babi juga, kok," he said. I couldn't resists any pork-related dish, so I told him to count me in.



It was around 2 in the afternoon when I arrived at Senopati. Buyu Bowls turns out to be a food stall located at the corner of a road. You can't hardly miss it because the food stall itself is black in color, build on a green grass which would definitely catch your attention, and it has this big "BUYU BOWLS" parked at the top of the assembly.

The atmosphere surrounding Buyu Bowls is somewhat picnic like. There were only two sets of tables and benches for the customer to dig into their rice bowl. If you were to visit Buyu Bowls during weekdays, I would guarantee your chance of getting yourself a seat. Can't promise you anything if it's the weekends. If you're down, you can definitely sit on the grass. They're very clean and green like those grass you see in a movie where people would just have a fun picnic on Sunday mornings. And, since the seatings are all outdoor, smoking is definitely allowed.



I had me a regular bowl of Crispy Pork Rice Bowl and a bottle of Bir Bintang, while Nona and Bernhard both had the Spicy Pork Rice Bowl and bottled water. I was expecting a slow service, but turns out it was super fast. Bernhard placed our order and ten minutes later our food was ready. How awesome is that?

Before I continue, do allow me to apologize for the shitty quality of the picture. My phone was out of battery at that time, so I borrowed Bernhard's phone to take pictures. I'm sorry for not doing any justice to the food.

Here was my regular bowl of Crispy Pork Rice Bowl, consisted of a rice topped with sliced pork, stir-fried papaya leafs, and an intimidating glob of chilly with sliced cayenne pepper in it. It was breathtaking and very appealing to the eyes. I was excited to try the sliced pork as they all looked like as if they were cooked to perfection. Just look at that juicy meat, and the fat layers, not to mention the crispy golden brown skin lingering on top of it all.


I took a big bite with bits of everything here and there, and I was lost for words. Oh, God, the pork was just amazing! It was very delicious and juicy. The meat was very tender and the fat was silk-like. I managed to finish one piece of it even though I hate eating fat because of the texture. And the skin, oh boy that golden-brown-cooked-to-perfection pork skin, was beyond crispy and it contained a bucketful of umami.


The pork and the rice went well with a handful of papaya leafs (which tasted mostly bitter because that's how it's supposed to taste like) and a bit of the sliced cayenne pepper. My mouth bursted with flavor at each bite. I do recommend that if you don't like spicy food, you better get rid of them chilly before you eat because it so spicy you couldn't taste anything but bitter and spicy. Adding a bit of those chilly to your spoonful of savory goodness is okay, but not too much.

I managed to finish my dish in under 15 minutes. I was planning on enjoying the food slowly, but I just couldn't help but to spoon me more and more.


Buyu Bowls
Jl. Gunawarman No. 16
Kebayoran Baru, Jakarta Selatan
Jakarta 12110

Opening Hours:
SUN - FRI: 11AM - 9PM

Contact:
(+62) 878 0878 0099

Instagram: @buyubowls

No comments:

Post a Comment