Thursday, April 13, 2017

Woke Up at Five to Bake

I woke up at five to the sound of my dogs barking, giving commands for me to open the door that leads them to the backyard so that they can do their thing after a night of being kept inside due to the heavy rain. It has been raining hard these days in Bekasi. The sky is cloudy even as I am typing down right now, and I'm guessing it's going to be stormy later on the evening. So much for hoping somebody will pay me a visit.

I woke up and I couldn't get myself to continue my slumber. It's not that I woke up feeling fresh and all pumped up, no, but I just couldn't get myself to sleep. So, I figured, why not make myself happy with some baking action in the kitchen.

I googled recipes on how to make date cake since I have this box of dates that Mom brought from Doha, Qatar, which I'm not a big fan of due to its' peculiar texture. I finally found one that caught my interest. Sourced from an Australian cooking website named Taste.com.au, I prepared all of the cooking utensil and ingredients needed to make the cake and immediately try to pull it off. Here, is the link to the Sticky Date Cake with Caramel Sauce.


I'm not a pro at baking, but I do enjoy it. I have baked brownies for a few times and they didn't always end up the way I wanted them to be. At one point, I tried to bake this Milka-based brownies that came out as hard as a brick. I could probably hit somebody with it and he would passed out.

I didn't have high expectation on how my date cake will be, so I just went with the recipe and hoped for the best.

In the recipe, two cups of boiling hot water was needed to make the chopped dates tender. Then, I have to combine the date mixture with the cake mixture that has egg in it. Now, I know how an egg mixture will be destroyed if I were to put another mixture with high temperature in it. The heat will cook the egg up, leading to a disaster. It took me a while to figure this out. I ended up putting the date mixture in the freezer for around five minutes until the boiling water cools off, then I mix it together with the egg mixture. I turned out fine, thank God.

Combined the mixture, poured it into a cake pan, put it in the oven, and let it bake for 45 minutes. I occupied myself with some house chores as I waited for my Sticky Date Cake to finish baking.

The cake turned out, unexpectedly, fine and gorgeous. It didn't show any uncooked batter as I poked some holes into it with a toothpick, the edges didn't stick to the cake pan, the surface felt firm despite the texture being soft and tender. All in all, it baked all the way through, woohoo!


The recipe said that I am supposed to eat it with some caramel sauce. Unfortunately, I didn't have the ingredients to make one, so I settled with some butter.

The date cake was moist, similar with how a sponge cake should be, but not crumbly. It had a strong date flavor and a bit of date bits as well, which was okay for me. It was sweet to the point of making me nauseous when I ate too much of it, but the butter helped to ease down the sweetness.

It was okay. The cake was okay.

The problem is, I don't have people to give the cake out to. Help!

No comments:

Post a Comment