Saturday, October 13, 2018

My First Scotch Eggs

Nowadays, I feel the need to cook at least once every one week, so that I won’t go nuts. One time, I ran out of gas and couldn’t buy it anywhere because the manufacturer happens to stop producing the gas, I didn’t cook anything for more than a week my fingers were all fidgety. Thankfully, I came home eventually and immediately cook the moment I stepped into the house. It had not even been 8 o’clock in the morning and my hands were all dirty from the flour and egg wash.

For that one week of not being in the kitchen, I was craving for this England-based dish that the locals consume regularly at a pub. It goes by the name Scotch Egg, which is basically deep-fried meat-coated boiled egg. It may sounds simple and unappealing, but still delicious nonetheless. 


Nothing can go wrong in making this dish, except for the egg part. I was aiming for a firm egg white with runny yolk, and I kept failing until my last attempt. I boiled my first batch of eggs for less than five minutes and they turned out runny as hell. The second one, I boiled them too hard both egg white and yolk turned solid. I didn’t go for the third attempt because I almost ran out of eggs. 

After I was done with the eggs, it was time for the fun part. I powdered the egg with some flour, enveloped the whole thing with minced beef that I mixed with some chopped onions and diced carrots, then I bathe it with some egg mixture, and finally coated it with a generous amount of bread crumbs (or, like my Mom prefer to call it, panko flour). Last, but not least, I fried the beautiful babies until it turned golden brown and slightly burnt.


To be honest, the whole dish was very dry. The only thing that was juicy was the meat, but it didn’t splash when I take a bite. The yolk, like I said before, was very solid it didn’t turn out to be as enjoyable as I thought it would be. Very savory, slightly sweet from the sautéed onion that I put into the meat mixture, and the texture was quite nice. I managed to make a crispy shell that didn’t easily crumble by a soft grab, which is a good thing. My first attempt at making Scotch Eggs was not that terrible to say the least. 


I had some leftover minced meat that I made into small fried beef balls. They were nice, savory and sweet at the same time, and much juicier compared to the Scotch Egg itself because it only consisted of minced meat after all. 

The aftermath was very messy, but my urge to cook was satisfied and I had fun making the dish. I also got this sense of accomplishment when I succeed, which added an extra handful of joy to myself that served as an extra boost to help me survive through out the day. 


The things you’d do to keep you sane, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment