Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Outer Space on Earth

Last Christmas, I went to New York with my family. It was my first time visiting the United States and I was excited as if I were a child that was taken to an amusement park. There are lots of american food that I'm dying to try. Luckily, I got the chance to gulp down some food that was listed on the "101 Food to Eat Before I Die" that I wrote myself. One of the food that I ate was not listed in my food list, but I feel awesome for being able to tasted such peculiar snack. I ate a space food!

One of the destination area that I visited was the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum, which was located somewhere at the left edge of the map of New York. My parents and I walked to the museum from Times Square. It took us 20 minutes to get to the museum by foot. 

The moment we arrived at the museum's entrance, I was captivated by the humongous mother ship that was actually the museum itself. My parents and I bought some tickets and we entered the museum. It was so cool! There were numerous jets and space capsules, interactive games where tourist like my parents and I would go gaga about it, flight simulators, movies about the world war, submarine, torpedo, and lots of other cool stuff that you can only find in a war-based movies. I got to enter a space capsule and I felt awesome for doing so! It is as if you're a real astronaut. I had so much fun at the Intrepid Museum. 

But then the time has come for me and my parents to head back to the hotel. We followed the exit sign, but then we stopped by at the gift shop to, simply, enjoy the pretty-looking stuff that they sell, which mostly were made in China. What is a museum without a gift shop near the exit door, right? I was glancing throught the mini astronaut plastic prototypes until suddenly I saw something interesting at the corner of my eye. I turned around and I spotted a funny locking package, with a rather small, yet noticeable, "Space Food" writings on it. I was amazed. I grabbed a pack and immediately paid it at the cashier. When we went out of the building, I opened the package and there it was, a genuine space food. It was an ice cream, cookies and cream flavor to be exact, and I went gaga over it. 

That awesome feeling that you get when you
get to eat a space food when you're not even an astronaut

not sure whether I should save the space ice cream for later or not, I took a quick bite and munch slowly to savor the flavor of the peculiar food. It felt like fireworks! I have never tried such gassy and dry food like such. I handed the space ice cream to my mom and my dad so that they could try a bite of the food as well. Their reactions were not as euphoric as mine, but it seemed like they enjoy trying out new stuff. 

This space ice cream is awesome
in so many levels


This, so-called, space food were beyond dry and a bit gassy. When you bite it, the dry texture will somehow melts in your mouth when it made contact with your saliva. When it started to melt, there were lumps of space ice cream in my mouth, so I chewed it and it felt funny. I have never ate such bizarre food before in my life. I still feel awesome for being able to taste such food up until now. I mean, it's not like everyday you get to taste the same food that Neil Armstrong ate.

Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum
Pier 86 W 46th St, 12th Ave, New York, NY 10011

Phone: (877) 954-7447

Hours: 10 am - 6 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment